My scripture of the week has been Proverbs 3:5, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own understanding.” There continues to be so much uncertainty and questions about the future, that I say it over and over throughout my day. I hope you are able to find some scriptures that help give you an anchor in these turbulent days.
That said, the church continues to do the work of Christ and I am amazed at the generosity and good will of our congregation. Here are just a few of the highlights of the week. I hope they help you to stay in touch with what is going on.
- We will continue to worship online Sunday mornings at 10:00 am for at least the next few weeks. Check the First UMC and Open Door Churches websites to find how to participate and stay up on the latest news.
- Talk is happening regarding the letting up of some of our current restrictions. We will continue to follow the guidance of our Governor and our Bishop.
- Our Church Administrative Council and most committees are continuing to meet via Zoom meetings using our computers. It is great to see each other after so long!
- The Open Door Solar Energy Committee reports that the solar panels have been ordered and we anticipate installation to begin in June.
- Bob Johnson and a few others continue to work on Live Steaming installation and equipment, so that we will be prepared to live stream worship from both the sanctuary and Micah once social distancing restrictions loosen.
- I have been working with the lay leadership at West Salem United Methodist Foodbank. They are one of the few foodbanks remaining open. Their clients have more than doubled. First UMC sent money to them this week and will continue to provide support.
- Jennie and I will continue to provide a mid-week time of song and scripture that we video in our home. Check the church website or Facebook page to find it.
- The church facilities are closed to all but staff and essential work.
Let us continue to hold one another in prayer and all our national, state, and local leadership. May God’s grace surround you all.