Spiritual formation and Christian education for all ages is especially important at First Church as we strive to encourage lifelong learning and discipleship.
Here at First United Methodist Church, we offer a wide variety if educational opportunities for all ages. These classes are designed to inspire, challenge, and encourage participants in their faith and life. If you have any questions about the classes or have an idea about a class you would like to see offered, contact Heather Ingersoll at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday Summer Adult Education Opportunities
New to Salem First UMC?
- Get Acquainted class: Dining Room – Please join us for a latte and an informal get acquainted time with church members and other visitors. Learn about our church history, our ministries and outreach in the broader Salem community. We also will answer your questions and then take you on a tour of our historic church. Please see church calendar for upcoming dates. We hope you will join us! (Our next gathering is Sunday, July 21st at 10 a.m.)
- New Membership class: Interested in becoming a member here at Salem First United Methodist Church? We invite you to make First United Methodist your church home. Please contact Pastor Dan Pitney contact Pastor Dan Pitney with questions or to make arrangements to join.
Summer Classes for Adults (10-11 a.m.)
- Prayer of the Heart: Room 207 – The Prayer of the Heart group is a group of spiritual seekers who gather to share the ancient practice of Prayer of the Heart meditation in silence and community. The meeting format we follow includes a short period of shared spiritual reading on this prayer practice, a period of silent meditation, and a period of meditative praying with scripture (lectio divina) with an opportunity to offer a personal response to the scripture if moved to do so. All those interested in deepening their interior life and abiding in the presence of Christ are welcome.
- Adult Bible Study: Room 107 – Led by Gary Onstot, the theme for the winter is Loving God by Trusting Christ. We will discuss passages from various books in the Bible including Thessalonians, John, James, and Philippians.
- Bridges: Room 110 – A gathering and learning space for differently-abled adults and their care-givers
Summer Sunday morning opportunities for Children
Childcare – 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Childcare is available for infants through second grade following the Children’s Time in the MICAH service. Children check-in with childcare attendants outside the MICAH Worship Center. Following the children’s time, children go with childcare attendants to Room 206 in the main building. Childcare is available in Room 206 the remainder of the morning.
We offer children’s classes and choir during the school year. For more information about nursery and Sunday school options for children birth thru 5th grade, visit our Children’s Ministry page.
Middle & High School Youth
Mid-High is using curriculum which empowers youth to explore their faith and ask the questions they actually wonder about the Bible, Jesus, disciples, creeds, other beliefs, and hot topics.
Senior High age youth have options that include assisting with children’s classes, music, learn tech (soundboards and projection) for worship and other special events, or join in lively discussions.
Using a variety of curricula, the focus is on social issues, mission work, the environment, and making a difference in the world. (The youth gather as the Open Door Churches Youth Group every Tuesday night during the summer for fun activities!) Check their Facebook page for updates!
For more information about youth, visit our youth page.