Christian Education for all ages is especially important at First Church as we strive to encourage lifelong learning and discipleship. We are happy to offer a number of adult education opportunities in 2019. All classes are offered on Sunday mornings from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. unless otherwise noted.
Sunday Adult Education Opportunities
Classes for Adults (9-10 a.m.)
- Early Birds: Room 212 – led by Holli Davenport – discussions on faith issues centered on a book or video series (Class begins in early Oct.)
Classes for Adults (10-11 a.m.)
- Prayer of the Heart: Room 207 – led by Josh Stringer and Jerilee Avery. The Prayer of the Heart group is a meditation circle that meets throughout the year. Prayer of the Heart is an ancient practice dating back to some of the earliest Christian communities. Sessions include a time of reading from a spiritual book, a time of silent meditation, a meditation on a passage from scripture, and a time of sharing. All those interested in deepening their interior life and abiding in the presence of Christ are welcome.
- Modern Christian Life: Room B-8 – Support and information on faith and life concerns for parents of children and teens
- Digging Deeper in Theology and Ethics: Carrier Room – led by Charlie Wallace – A study and discussion about faith and justice issues
- Adult Bible Study: Room 107 – led by Gary Onstot – A study of the Books of the Bible. (New material every 6 weeks.)
- Get Acquainted class: Dining Room –Opportunity for visitors to learn more about the church and connect with other members. Dates determined on an ongoing basis. Visit the church calendar to see the next scheduled class.
- New Membership class: dates to be decided. Led by Rev. Dan Pitney
- Bridges: Room 110 – A gathering and learning space for differently-abled adults and their care-givers
- Fits and Giggles: MICAH Conference Room/Childcare area – designed for parents of preschoolers and young children, shared facilitation by group. A casual gathering time, where parents can share their challenges and joys in an accepting environment. (Sundays from 10-11 a.m. and Tuesdays from 6-7 p.m. both in room 210.)
Sunday morning opportunities for Youth and Children
We offer a variety of options for children and youth Sunday mornings.
For more information about nursery and Sunday school options for children birth thru 5th grade, visit our Children’s Ministry page.
Middle & High School Youth– MICAH Youth Center – Using a variety of curricula, the focus is on social issues, mission work, the environment, and making a difference in the world. (The youth gather as the Open Door Churches Youth Group every Tuesday night during the summer for fun activities!) Check their Facebook page for updates!